Fun Games Can Challenge the Mind
We specialize in the development of games that give physical realizations of abstract concepts coupled with online instructional tutorials. We have chosen games as our primary medium for several reasons:
- First, children seem to be able to remain focused while playing the game far longer than in the normal classroom environment.
- Second, games provide familiar environment for a child that minimizes math and science anxiety.
- Third, competition makes children act and not freeze up.
The Mission of The Math Gym is to make a lasting impact on mathematics and science education.
We are dedicated to using the concepts and methods of modern mathematics and science to produce efficient, intuitive means for young children to understand more mathematics than mere arithmetic.
- We are particularly concerned with pre-adolescent children; for it is during this period that human cognitive ability is primarily developed.
- We believe that pre-adolescence is the time for children to learn the language of mathematics – at the same time they are learning their native tongue. It is very likely that children’s brain will re-wire itself for math much like it does when they learn to read and write.
- We provide materials and explanations of our methods to allow parents to become more involved with their children’s education and give teachers technical expertise in topics they have not been exposed to or have forgotten. Our initial steps in this direction can be found here in our blog.
- The Math Gym is a subsidiary of the Waid Group Inc., a privately held corporation located in Houston, Texas. The Math Gym was formed in 2003, the realization of a lifetime dream of its founders Carter and Margaret Waid, both Ph.D.’s mathematicians with years of teaching and industrial experience.
We believe that games, fun games that challenge the mind, can be invaluable in augmenting instruction.